Friday, August 29, 2008

Sanctuary vs. survival

I know Jill has been talking about creating a sanctuary at her home, but right now I think this fall will just be survival mode for us due to several changes (albeit temporary) in our lives. While I spent the last week working at our churches preschool (it went quite well), my husband started ripping off our roof today for an addition we've been planning. Yeah! So, he will be pretty busy in his free time and I'm not having all the free time I thought I would. Now, I am not complaining. I am glad to help my friend by filling in for her, and of course, I am not complaining about the addition. It's just that I think my sanctuary ideas will be put on hold for a while. In the meantime, I still hope to create as much of a calm atmosphere amidst the construction chaos around us.

Personally, I always find it much easier to have this calm in the fall and winter, especially when it starts getting dark early. The kids will be in the house, and if we're home, we can actually do more activities together as a family than it seems we do in the summer. I love having each of just read our own books with some quiet time, or play a game together, or watch our favorite family show, The Waltons.


5 comments:

Jill said...

A new layout huh?

You can still have sanctuary in the middle of construction. Good thing other wise we would have been living in chaos for the past6 years. Yes, it has been six.

Ron ripped apart our bathroom today. It will be a place of sanctuary soon. I keep telling myself that. One step at a time.

The new bonus room and girls room will be wonderful for your family, creating yet more sanctuary.

kim said...

Construction begins! How fun! It will be tough, I imagine, to have Dick busy and the house is slight chaos, but it will be SO worth it when it's complete! All that extra space. And an additional bathroom, right? hmmmmmmm Next summer we can just stay with you for the whole 3 weeks! :) just kidding!

Tricia said...

Kim, you all could come stay for sure. The kids could have a huge cousin sleepover in the play room! They'd love it!

Carol said...

Cool new lay out! If only you could remodel the house so quickly and easily... =)

Wendi said...

I love changes to the home, I can't wait to see what you guys have done.

I do not remember the Waltons at all. Is that the guy with the big mole on his face? LOL.
I was thinking about getting The Little House on the Prairie dvd series I think it comes out soon. I loved that series as a kid.
Well good luck on your house project!