Thursday, January 22, 2009

It's all about attitude!

I am in a new Bible study on Thursday mornings at church. It is called, "Lord, change my attitude." And it is a wonderful study; I highly recommend it whether you think you need it or not. I just thought I'd share some of what I've learned and pass it on to you.

The first week was focused on complaining and the scripture was in Numbers 11 and 14. I am sure you're familiar with this passage where the Israelites are led out of Egypt, to freedom, but as soon as they are, they start complaining, grumbling, whining and moaning about their awful circumstances. Of course, God hated to hear these complaints. It is like a slap in His face! It made me think how often I've complained, and truly I am sorry for all of them. To know how God hates this ingratitude is really humbling.

The second week was about turning our complaints into thankfulness. Think for a minute about something you have or could complain about. Now, find something in it to be thankful for. Even our worst things, when we really think about it can be used as an opportunity to give thanks. I hear all kinds of complaints all the time from lots of people, some from myself. So and so's not happy about a relationship, someone else has no money, another might just complain about the weather...regardless of the situation, we really should be thankful. Thankful to have that someone in our life...thankful that God meets our needs...thankful that even though the weather is cold, we at least have a new day to live. I was also reminded that even if Jesus never gave me anything but himself and salvation, that would be enough. How many times, though, do we not look at things this way? It has really helped me to see things differently. I may not have my complaining problem licked, but now I recognize it and hopefully, will stop and turn it into thanks instead. I encourage you to do the same!

This week, the third week, was on covetousness. Ouch! As I listened this morning, I realized again how many times in the past (or present) I have had that kind of attitude. Once again, God hates it and it is called sin! For the Israelites, God provided everything they needed - manna from heaven. Were they grateful? No!!! They wanted meat! So much so that they whined until they got it. Well, God answered them in Numbers 11:19-20 and told them they would have so much meat that they would become sick of it. Each household collected 50-60 bushels full of quail each! That is a lot of meat!!! Plus, they would be eating meat for a whole month. As much as I love a good burger, I don't think I would want to eat 50-60 bushels of hamburgers for a whole month :). When we covet, we are essentially saying to God " what you've given me isn't good enough. You need to do better". I am sure this greatly grieves our Father, our Creator and Provider. And coveting is deeply connected to materialism. In a poll, 80% of Americans are said to want more money. And for what??? A better, easier, more fun-filled life! We are so selfish. This is something I really need to think about, because I don't want to displease my Heavenly Father. I don't want to covet that which I don't have. I don't want to turn from all I've been blessed with, from all God's given to me, and focus on what I still don't have. Lots to learn! Needless to say, I can't wait for next week's lesson on contentment!

Some questions to ponder:

Do I think more about impacting people with Christ or getting "things"?
Do I think more about stuff that will gratify me or actions that will bless others?

Please only answer these in your heart, between you and God. But, there is always hope in the Lord. If we answer these in ways that are not pleasing to Him, we can always repent and start anew.

Since I am in this class for 11 weeks, and will probably need practice applying all that I learn for a long time, I've decided that "having a Godly Attitude" will be my theme for the year!
Thanks for "listening" to what I've been learning...

4 comments:

Jill said...

Hmmm...and I asked for this by signing up? Where was the sign up for the light and fluffy study? Did I miss it?
I am really looking forward to a faith lift and attitude change. Whether I think I need it or not. ;o)

Jamie said...

Good stuff! I want to hear more about it as the weeks go on.

I complain about making dinner, but I really do have so many things to be thankful for...food to cook, enough money to buy the food, appliances to use, and a family to cook for.

Leslie said...

How many times I have essencially told God "You can do better". Stunning. Thank you for sharing and challenging me.

Lori said...

Ouch....
Hard stuff, yet, we need to be reminded to be grateful for all things.
Yesterday, I thanked God for my eye-infection.
Today(after getting some really good drugs) It appears to be gone!
Hmmm.....
Great post.

;0)