Friday, March 14, 2008

Just an Idea

Jeanine's post talked about getting kids to do chores, so I thought I would share one thing we do in our house. Getting the kids to pray at dinner time used to be feast or famine. They would all want to pray or no one would! I'm sure you understand. Anyhoo, my friend Jill shared that her kids each have a special day of the week, so I thought I would use that too. Each of our four girls have a day of the week starting from oldest to youngest. For instance, Delaney is Mon., Timmary is Tues., skip Wed. since we eat dinner at church, Merrily is Thurs. and Cassidy is Fri. On their day, they set the table and then get to pray. Over the years I've added clearing the table and sometimes doing the dishes. Eventually I would like to add helping to prepare the meal and even planning what to have. This works out great, no fighting and I have help four days a week!!!

3 comments:

Jeanine said...

Oooohhh...I like that one! However, the praying at the table isn't an issue for us. We all say grace together before eating and usually if one of the kids starts eating too soon the other one gives a gentle reminder that we didn't pray yet. But the special night for each one to help with choosing the meal, setting the table, etc., is fabulous. Thanks for the tip...we'll have to give it a try!!!!!
Hope you're having a fabulous day!
J

kim said...

Great idea Tricia & Jill. I think we will put this into practice at our house too. Prayers at the dinner table are feast or famine for us as well & (believe it or not) setting the table and helping make dinner can be big fights too.

Lori said...

great idea!

;0)