Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My take on "it's not fair!"

Okay, so I haven't blogged for a while now, a whole month in fact! But, I have had this one brewing for some time so here it is.

I know you can relate to an almost nonstop, daily dose of the "it's not fair" whine, at least that's how it seems sometimes. My kids do say thank you and appreciate most of what happens in their lives, but it seems the "fair monster" does like to pay frequent visits to our house and disrupt our peaceful lives.

Well, last year at school as I was picking up the girls, was one of those times. As we were waiting our turn to leave the parking lot, the complaints began...This time I thought of a new come back. My usual (from Lori) "the fair's in August" and one from when I was a kid "who said life was fair" were losing their power (did it ever work anyway? hmmm) Anyway, I was looking out my van window and saw all the parents picking up their kids in wheelchairs. Our school has a new class of kindergartners with special needs. These are mostly kids who probably will never walk, among other difficulties. A light bulb went off in my head as I thought, hey this is a great teachable moment. I decided to seize the moment, and tell my kids "Ya know, you're right. Life is not fair...it's not fair that those children out our window can't walk, it's not fair that some people are blind, it's not fair that other kids have lost their parents in tragic accidents." You know it helped me too, to take my mind off how my life isn't fair (because it doesn't go my way all the time - I mean isn't that why we say it anyway, we just aren't getting our way) and appreciate all the blessings God has given me. Fair really might not be that great after all, so I don't know if I want fair... I much rather prefer God's mercy and grace to fair anyday. Besides, often times my life isn't fair, it's much better than that!





8 comments:

Beth said...

My girls have not reached this lovely milestone in life... so the only one saying "it's not fair" is me. Thanks for the reminder, I really don't want what is fair. I am incredibly blessed. I just have to remind my self regularly that a blessed life does not always mean an easy life.

Carol said...

That was a great teachable moment! While "The fair is in August." is FUNNY ;) you are right that it probably doesn't do much good to say it in the heat of the moment... I find myself with the same cmplaint in a "much more adult" way ;) Human nature, it's a constant battle. Next time i find myself wallowing in self pity, I am going to think of those kindergartners...

Jeanine said...

Nope...life isn't fair. But...it also "is what it is." At least that the saying in our house. It might not be "fair" to one...but to another...it's a far cry from what it could be...your wheelchair example. Someone always has it worse and they might give anything for what we consider "not fair." Great job of seizing the moment and taking advantage of a wonderful teaching opportunity. Although, "The fair is in August" approach is one I think I might borrow.

Jill said...

Great post Tricia. Although we don't get much of the 'it's not fair' we do get plenty of complaints that come in other forms.

Emma has been sporting a 'no complaint world' bracelet and I think it has been great for her to see how much she complains about simple things that really don't matter. And really she is the least of the offenders.

Anonymous said...

I recently started a new Bible study by Pastor James MacDonald. The first week deals with...you guessed it...complaining! He makes lots of good points starting with his definition of complaining. "Complaining is to express dissatisfaction with a circumstance which is not wrong and about which I'm not doing anything to correct." Some other points: "Attitude controls outcome." "We choose our attitudes." The whole study is based on the Israelites journey out of Egypt. Their 40 days of "it's not fair" got them 40 years instead! (Num. 14:34) The study has been "eye opening" and I've only done two days! Thanks for using a teachable moment, Tricia, to make a point to my grandkids! Love you.

Wendi said...

Hey I have to say the "no fair monster" visits us on occasion. I really liked that you used that as a teaching moment!

Tricia said...

ok, keep praying! the "it's not fair monster" is back!!!

Ginger said...

You are so right! God's grace is way better than fair. Thanks for the reminder.