Monday, February 25, 2008

What if?....

Hey ladies, I don't know about you, but I was very inspired last night hearing Dr. Jerry Pipes speak. Everything he says is encouraging and helpful. One thing that really stood out was his dedication to memorize one verse a week for the last 35 years!!! Wow! I love how he emphasized really learning God's word verse by verse. I am afraid it is an almost lost discipline for many of us. But knowing this alone does me no good. So here's my idea: what if we all took this seriously and learned a new verse every week. We could even do this with our kids and/or husbands. Wouldn't that be an awesome way to spend time together as a family?!! And if you're like me, I learn much better when I speak something, which is always more fun when there's someone listening and learning with you. We could even take this and share with each other the verses we are learning when we get together for coffee or whatever. That would be great accountability.

Here's our verse for the week:

1 kings 2:3 "Observe what the Lord your God requires: walk in His ways, and keep His decrees and commands His laws and requirements, as written in the Law of Moses, so that you may prosper in all you do and wherever you go."

Growing in His grace!

4 comments:

Jill said...

OK Tricia, I take your challenge mine is Proverbs 15:28 this week.

kim said...

count me and my family in too! This is a fantastic idea! I'll let you know what verse we decide for this week.

Jeanine said...

Hi, Tricia! I'm Jeanine...a friend of Kim's (who I miss terribly, by the way). She introduced me to your blog and I must say that memorizing a verse a week is a challenge I am willing to try. My verse for the week is Matthew 6:26 "Look at the birds in the air. They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, but your heavenly Father feeds them"
I'll add you to my daily blog readings. Mine is sjpfjohnson.blogspot.com.
Peace.

Jamie said...

Hi, Tricia! It is Hebrews 13:5 for me this week. By the way, I have been inspired by you and Jill to start a blog.