Sunday, May 4, 2008

Variety is the spice of life...

This weekend was a mini retreat for ladies at our church. The subject: our personalities, based on the common four types: popular sanguine(it's all about fun), powerful choleric (leaders and those who take action), perfect melancholy (likes details and plans) and peaceful phlegmatic(need I say more).

Well, I pretty much already knew what mine was, melancholy (in case you didn't know), but I was wondering what yours is? It was interesting to learn how to relate to different people based on their personalities and your own. It's also neat to know that each of us is so special and we all have strengths and weaknesses. One of my weaknesses is being pessimistic. So, I can tend to focus more on my weaknesses and think I have no strengths, which isn't true. I work REALLY hard and being cheerful and giving thanks always. But I never equated this with my personality. I just thought there's something wrong with me. While God does want me to be full of hope, the fact that I'm not always doesn't have to make me feel bad, I just need to take that time to lean more on the transforming power of Jesus in my life.

I am thankful for each of my friends and their different personalities. You do add spice to my life, that could otherwise be blan. So for that I give thanks!

4 comments:

Jeanine said...

Sounds like a fun retreat! I'd have to say I'd fall into the same category you do...however, with a "dash" of the others mixed in. Peacefulness is seeping it's way into my life and I must say, it's refreshing. God does not make mistakes in making us who we are. It's taking me 42 years to figure that out. As long as I work daily on building and strengthening my relationship with HIM, I am content. Some days are better than others. Some days I totally screw up. Other days I don't screw up quite so much. But God knows I'm trying. He knows I'm a work in progress.

Carol said...

It was a great retreat and I really enjoyed getting to know you better. It was so funny when you brought your group leader folder in, all organized and prioritized and mine was in my classroom all spread out in disaray so I could see what was in there! LOL! We are two complete opposites my friend, I am excited to see how God uses us to compliment eachother as we get to know eachother even more and grow as friends. See you soon!

Ginger said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the retreat and wish I could have gone (that darn moving sale!) Maybe if I look at your book I can decide what I am. I could see a little bit of myself in all of the descriptions you gave. I think I am mostly melancholy though??? You are so right about God using us with the personalities He gave us. Variety is His design--even in people :).

Lori said...

I'm Sanguine and MOST of my friends are anal Meloncholies!!!
Isn't that interesting?????