Monday, May 26, 2008

Goals for the summer...

I am really starting to get excited about summer. I've been outside more, walking the dog, noticing the sounds and smells and sights of summer, and it makes me happy to think of longer, lazier, fun-filled days. At least, that's the plan. However, if you're like me, too much fun leads to grumpy bears. There is so much truth in the fact that we need work and a purpose to find fulfillment. Boredom is a sure fire cause of complaining and discontentment, and while my kids might beg to differ that they would be completely happy with no structure for the summer, I've been a mom long enough to know that just won't work. So, in order for this to become reality (the fun part I mean), it means I need some goals and plans to help each of us in our house find the balance between work and play. After all, it would be far too easy for each of us to just take the lazy part and make a run with it. I think my kids would be TOTALLY happy to only wear a swimsuit and pajamas all summer, going from bed to the pool while only coming in for sleep and food. They would also then feel justified in not needing a bath! But of course, if you know me, I am just not that laid back or "nice", so my kids will have to adjust to the summer schedule. That's where my goals come in...on my list are a few things:

* doing a specific Bible study with the girls in addition to our regular Bible reading
* reading The Light and the Glory for Kids-to teach American Christian history
* reading a historical fiction book on someone who made a difference for God, I'm thinking of reading about George Muller
* not letting my kids brains go to pot, so there will be worksheets (but not too many)
* participating in the library reading program

I think this will keep us pretty busy, along with the swimming, but hopefully, we'll have great times learning together as well as having fun!!!


8 comments:

kim said...

This sounds like a wonderful plan. I agree, too little structure leads to arguing, brawling, gnashing of teeth and the like. Structure is a friend, I would say. I'm going to look into that American history book you mentioned for the Weed kids too (well, at least Alex). I've seen it mentioned at least twice now on blogs so it must be good. History and God...two things I love to read about, not necessarily in that order of course.

Jeanine said...

I like your plan, too! Just yesterday Parker was "bored" because Scott and I were working outside and he and Faith had to find something to do. He was told it would be a long summer if he was already bored on a holiday weekend! He promised he wouldn't be and I promised myself that it wouldn't be that way, either! I like your plan and ideas. Might have to follow your lead, if you don't mind!

Carol said...

Great ideas Tricia! I am excited about starting real devotions with Grace too. Pastor Stanley's sermon on Sunday was so good and really spoke to my heart about the importance of parenting for God's glory. The things you have listed on your "To Do" list fall right in line with what he was talking about. Don't knock yourself and say it is because you are not laid back or fun. Everything you mentioned sounds really FUN! And kids NEED structure, so you are providing them what they NEED. Way to go Mom! WAY TO GO!!!! =)

Tricia said...

Carol, I am passionate about spending time with God together with my kids. We've gone through several devotions and have also just plain read God's Word, there's nothing better. I only wish I had started when Delaney was a newborn. I heard of a lady who read straight from God's Word to her newborn and now he is a godly man...no surprise! We can never underestimate the Word's power or the discipline of reading it to our children!!!

Jamie said...

Sounds like you have a great plan! The summer library program is always fun for the kids.

Ginger said...

You're such a good mom! You've inspired me to make a "to do" list for my summer too. I have been concentrating so much on thinking about moving, that I haven't thought much about other things to do. It's a little different with older kids, too. Both of mine are into their own Bible studies, etc. So, a lot of what I do is talking and discussing things "on the fly." I'll have to think about what I can do with a little more purpose. :)

Wendi said...

Wow you are very organized, I wish God had given me that talent (heehee) anyhow my kids did the summer reading program they really enjoyed it.

Jill said...

Sounds like you are ready for summer! Just add the kids and you will be ready!

I agree with too much free time leads to whining, crying and gnashing of teeth...with the kids too.