Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Word of Encouragement

My new Bible study class is on soul-stirring conversations with God. It's by Priscilla Schirer and the goal is to continue developing our relationship with God, through meaningful conversation. Anywho, the verses this week are on the tongue and how we should use ours to edify, encourage and build each other up. From my weekly verses, you can see this is a goal and need in my life. So, I thought I would share this story from a devotional I read earlier this week.

There was a little boy taking a walk with his mom one day. He noticed all kinds of treasures, rocks mostly, to pick up along the way. By the end of the walk, his arms were loaded and, actually, he had to repick many up as they had fallen along the way. He made it back with his treasures, but upon opening the door something caught his eye. He immediately dropped all the rocks and such, for they had lost their value. His eyes were fixed on something much more important than rocks, his daddy!!!

We need to remember this when we carry burdensome treasures around. We have a heavenly Father, if we have a relationship with Him, who is desiring us to give Him our burdens or treasures every day. Sometimes, we need to do as the boy did: drop everything and run to God. If one doesn't have that relationship yet, they can! For God longs that each of us come to him for the only relationship that will never end. This can be found only in the One who has always been: Jesus Christ. So no matter where we are, there is hope! Next time I see you I hope we each have empty arms, because Jesus is carrying the load for us, so our arms will be available for a nice hug! Lovingly, Tricia

3 comments:

Lori said...

thank you, my friend, for your love and friendship that sees me through hard times.

;0)

Jill said...

I know when I get weary I need to look at what I am carrying and see what I have picked up along the way that God has not asked me to. And no matter even when He asks me to carry a big heavy load, ask Him to help carry it.

Thanks Tricia!

Carol said...

What a great illustration! For some of us who did not have a safe "Daddy" that met our emotional needs, it is really hard to picture God like this. I think that is why I don't have the trust like I should when it comes to giving it all to God.

Two comments on my comment:

One~ that does not give me an excuse not to grow spiritually in this way, it is just something about me that I have recognized.
Two~ it is so important for us to understand that we are a reflection of Jesus in our children's lives and we do not want to create a road block for their future personal relationship with Him.